Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Posthumous Oil Paintings: using photographs to paint portraits

One of the more meaningful types of paintings that I am commissioned to paint are posthumous portraits. These are usually commissioned by family members or board members to honor the portrait subject. Some of the posthumous portraits that I've been asked to paint include the spouse of a man in his 80's, who I painted on their wedding day; a family member who was honored with a library in her name; and most recently the mother of my client and a doctor who died unexpectedly, who is the father of my client.

Using supplied photos is something I am comfortable with and I work with my clients to best determine size, background choices and other important details.

To see samples of my portraits, including posthumous commissions:

www.soniahale.com