Sunday, December 6, 2015

Oil portraits of Children: Children's portrait paintings




Painting children has been my passion since about 1998, about 15+ years ago. I started off by painting pastel portraits and took several workshops, included some with Connie Pratt a master pastel artist who taught me some of her secrets. Once I was comfortable with pastels and my own children were slightly older, I began oil portraits of children in earnest and I sought out the nation's leading, famous portrait artists to further understand how to paint portraits. I traveled nationwide to workshops and conferences, entered my paintings of children into competitions on a national basis and began accepting commissions. I was mentored by a famous portrait artist who is now in his late 80's.

Some of my first commissions were group portraits of moms and children and 5 cousins, which gave me a lot to work on.

I have been fortunate to paint some wonderful children from as nearby as my hometown and as far away as New Orleans.

I love depicting children's skin tones, eyes—their external and their character. Capturing a child on canvas is a joyous thing and these portraits can make lovely gifts.

To check in with me to discuss a commission, please click here: soniahale1@gmail.com.