Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Portraiture Artists: Looking back to Connie Pratt pastel workshop on Cape Cod



That is me, second from the left.

It's always fun to look back and remember some of the fantastic workshops I was able to attend, as I was learning about fine art portraiture! Here is a photograph taken by Connie Pratt (Constance Flavell Pratt). Connie was an excellent teacher who gave a demo in the am the first Monday of the weeklong workshop, and then let us learn by painting all day, every day for the rest of the week. There was a new model each day and we spent the entire day painting (in pastel) each one!

I learned so much from the time at the easel and with her fine critiques. When you are really trying to make progress you take all critiques with the intention of improving.

Connie taught me some very subtle things about pastel and I'll always be grateful to her for that.

When I saw her last, with her lovely sister Jane, Jane said they'd agreed I was her best student, which was very kind of them.


Sonia Hale is an award-winning, nationally-collected artist in Boston. She paints commissioned portraits for families and institutions nationwide. Her original landscape and still life oil paintings can be purchased at http://www.soniahale.com. For more information, go to http://www.soniahale.com. You can reach her by email at soniahale1@gmail.com.